Labels:

Panang Fish Curry


Hubby was craving his usual curry, but had something else in mind - fish instead of chicken. Despite my protests (I don't like fish curry), I had to give in. He had been asking for it for a long time, but I kept stalling by making chicken curry instead. So when he came home with a package of haddock and a can of Panang, I knew there was no way out of it.

On the bright side of things, I used my Thai basil to add flavor to the dish. I always love utilizing my garden in my kitchen experiments. Yay for growing your own food!

My bowl is made from coconut husk!

What you need:

10 oz haddock fillets
1/2 cup Thai basil
1 can (403 mL) coconut milk (unshaken)
3 tablespoons Panang curry paste
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 medium-sized Russet potato, diced
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon molasses


What to do:


Heat a pan over medium-high. Open the unshaken can of coconut milk and spoon out the thick part into the pan. Cook, stirring continuously, until oil separates, about three minutes.

Add the curry paste, continue cooking and stirring for about three more minutes. Add minced garlic and fish, let simmer for a few minutes, then pour in the rest of the coconut milk.  Add the bell pepper and potatoes. Season with fish sauce, brown sugar and molasses. Bring to a boil.


Lower heat to a simmer. Add the Thai basil, let cook for another minute. Remove from heat  and serve.


Tips, Tricks and Tweaks: 

1. Any firm-fleshed white fish can be used for this recipe.
2. Molasses makes it a tad sweet... skip if you prefer more savory than sweet.
3. Not a big fan of fish? Try prawns!
4. If you want more heat, add chili peppers. Remember - Panang curry paste has a subtler flavor than other curries.

4 comments:

Gio of The Hungry Giant said...

I have never tried fish curry before. Parang personally..it doesn't make sense, if my statement actually made any sense. haha! it's just that we don't use fish for curry here, pero I think it's worth a shot. :D

anney said...

Ang cute ng bowl! Bihira kami mag curry sa bahay yung nanay ko kasi hate ang curry. Amoy kili kili daw. lol! Kami namn ni sis gusto namin.

J said...

@Gio: Yes, di din ako sanay sa fish curry. Pero sa mga Thai resto, madalas yan ang inoorder ni hubby... o kaya goat or beef curry. Pede pa nga shrimp eh. Pero chicken pa rin ako!

@Anney: Hahahaha anong klaseng curry ba ginagamit nyo at amoy kili kili? Sahugan kaya ng deodorant? LoL.

Mom Daughter Style said...

i want to try the fish curry.

P.S. I don't have a shop at Ebay. mommyces is the name that I'm using. I just try to sell old stuff.

 
Not Just A Food Blog © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters